Hangout With an Astronaut: Ask Your Questions

152330main_s121e06583-hi
Photo courtesy of NASA

Since the year of mankind’s inaugural trip to space in 1961, 341 people have crossed the celestial borders of outer space. These new-age navigators represent the pinnacle of human achievement. What is it about their daring voyages that elicit wonderment in those watching from Earth? Becoming an astronaut is a difficult, but not impossible dream. Join us for our next Google+ Hangout to discover one astronaut’s path to becoming a crew member on the International Space Station.

Astronaut Piers Sellers has participated in not one, but three missions to the International Space Station (ISS), his most recent flight in 2010. He has performed multiple space walks and eaten plenty of astronaut food. With over a month’s worth of room and board on the ISS, Piers knows better than most what it’s like to live in space.

152319main_s121e06447-hi
Piers smiles from inside his snug space suit. Photo courtesy of NASA.

We’re also joined by space architect, Constance Adams and planetary geologist Bethany Ehlmann — two women working to make space more habitable for humans. Bethany is part of the famed Mars Rover Curiosity team based at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL). As a geologist, she’s analyzing the surface of Mars for evidence of water and environments suitable for life. Constance also hails from NASA and specializes in designing complex expandable living areas for the International Space Station and for the surface of Mars. When humans get to the red planet, it’ll be thanks in part to work these two National Geographic Explorers have done.

Want to ask Piers what it was like to live in zero-gravity? Or ask Constance how small a box she could fit a room into? Or ask Bethany for the latest news form Mars ? Tune into our next Hangout March 20th at  2:30 p.m. EST (6:30 p.m. UTC).

How to Participate in the Hangout

You can be a part of our next Google+ Hangout. Send in your questions for these National Geographic Explorers and guests and they may be asked on air. Submit your questions by…

• Uploading a video question to YouTube with hashtag #LetsExplore
  • Posting a question on Google+ or Twitter with hashtag #LetsExplore or
  • Commenting directly on this blog post

Follow National Geographic on Google+ or return to this blog post to watch the Google+ Hangout Thursday, March 20th at  2:30 p.m. EST (6:30 p.m. UTC) to ask your burning questions and hear them answered by our explorers live!

Other Hangouts From National Geographic:

Hangout With the Adventurers of the Year
Hangout With Buzz Aldrin and Conrad Anker
Hangout With Explorers on All Seven Continents

Comments

1. Flowery Jam
    Egypt
    March 19, 6:24 am

How did you make your dream come true? I want to be an astronaut too…..Can I go to space from now I’m 14..

2. Muneeb
    KSA
    March 19, 2:59 am

i love all the question :) i read all the comments that people put here…
    i wanna say one thing. life is not possible except on this earth. never ever. only you can use space to facilitate you on earth i.e., for a global communication. and to other people except astronaut, i will say only that there is no planet in this world like earth. soo wonder full with lovely weathers. delicious fruits, sweets, ice cream, pizza, chocolates, Mac, KFC, Subways, Spicy food ;) so try to first make a trip of the world then think to go for space.

3. Ted Erne
    Louisville, KY
    March 18, 10:43 pm

While viewing the ISS passing overhead one night, I saw a momentary flash of brightness from the ISS. Could this be due to the solar panels changing their configuration at the time?

4. johanathan lance tuero
    March 18, 8:44 pm

Do You see UfOs ? you Know somebody was going to ask LOL!

5. Ted Erne
    Louisville, KY
    March 18, 6:55 pm

I would like to ask Piers what time zone is used aboard the ISS?

6. Sathish
    Chennai,India
    March 18, 4:51 pm

Do you have dreams while sleeping in ISS? If yes how will that be with gravity or without?

7. David S.
    Slovakia
    March 18, 4:39 pm

Can a ordinary guy like me became an astronaut? Im 19 years old.

8. satish
    mumbai
    March 18, 2:53 pm

Is life really possible out there? Is there any chance of aliens co-existing with us?

9. John Maye
    Ireland
    March 18, 2:17 pm

Hi Piers.
    I would love to know if you have performed an experiment in the Space Station on any of the mission’s that you have taken part in,that has amazed you and if so what was it.
    Regards and good luck.

10. arun
    india
    March 18, 1:54 pm

hiiiiiii….. I am arun frm india my qtion is plz see the earth and star- moon pic and most see space area plz see my name and adress on me and world best tv channel plzzzzz……….

11. Jose Martinez
    España
    March 18, 1:42 pm

To seen the movie Gravity?
    Is it approaching reality?. Thansk.

12. razvan
    romania
    March 18, 1:04 pm

how is the silence? describe the silence you felt there :)

13. Mark
    Varna, IL
    March 18, 12:51 pm

Now that’s a great Selfie! :)

14. mphonyane
    Maseru, Lesotho
    March 17, 5:11 pm

How does Lesotho look from space

15. Ted Erne
    Louisville, KY
    March 16, 9:51 pm

I’ve always dreamed of becoming an astronaut. I let my astigmatism and nearsightedness stop me from pursuing that dream. Perhaps, I gave up too soon. Thanks for living the dream for me. My question is I know you look down on earth a lot from space, but do you ever look out at the stars, planets, nebulas, galaxies, or other celestial objects from your perspective? What’s that like?

16. Alfredo Riveroll
    Mexico city
    March 15, 7:53 pm

It s great to know that your work will serve in the near future the travel to other planets… great to hear you from 250 miles in space…. Regards from Mexico and my thanks for you and your valuable contributions.

17. Stien
    Belgiun
    March 15, 5:29 pm

Can you grow fruit and vegetables on the space station?

18. Stien Van Herreweghe
    Belgium
    March 15, 5:25 pm

Is it difficult to sleep , when you are floating around ,and can you see Belgium from so far away?

19. Irene Hasenack
    La Veta, Colorado USA
    March 15, 2:52 pm

Hi, I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed the show Mar. 14. I have been watching you go by overhead for over a year whenever I get an email alert. Thanks for sharing your experiences and the awesome pictures, and the work you are doing.

20. Prajwal Gyawali
    Nepal
    March 15, 1:30 pm

Hey , How do you feel when there is less gravity , please explain ….I am Prajwal from Nepal and say my name in TV

21. Danish
    Bihar india
    March 15, 1:28 pm

Hi
    I have one question to astronaut !!!
    The mechanical watch or clock work in space station??

22. Rishika Agarwal
    India
    March 15, 12:14 pm

What all degrees do i need to become an astronaut?
    And how does rain appear from space?

23. Shirley Sullivan
    Katy, Texas
    March 15, 6:49 am

I am an old lady now, and it is amazing what has occurred in my lifetime. I have to admire you gentlemen for embarking on such a marvelous adventure. I can only remember being afraid to leave my home town of 500 population, and here you guys are completely out of this world. I do have a question as I continue to watch you trek – and have noticed that there is a specific area of what I think is three orbits around. Is there any reason for choosing this location to continue around the earth. Can you orbit in any other direction except the center of the earth? Have a wonderful day, and God Bless you marvelous creatures.

24. surya .R
    indonesia
    March 15, 1:44 am

this might not be a question but i’ll say it anyway :D
    i wanted to be an astronaut but i guess i’m not tall enough :(

25. Eunice
    New York
    March 15, 12:25 am

What do the north and south poles look like? Have you discovered new geographic marvels?

26. Chai Aysola
    Los Angeles, CA
    March 15, 12:00 am

Hello ISS crew, well wishes to you.
    perhaps you could fly a paper airplane in your station ?

Can you imagine applications of a 3D printer being useful on the ISS ?

27. Martin H
    Cheviot, Ohio
    March 14, 9:54 pm

Hello,
    When I look up on a clear night to the stars, I have an overwhelming feeling of how small I am in comparison to how big the universe is, but most of the time in my day to day life. I hardly ever think about how big the universe is compared to me..
    So, my first question is…
    What is your feeling about the size of the universe when you are in space? When your return to earth does your view on life on our planet change from what it was before you were in space?

My last question for you is …
    What is the first thing you crave, miss or wish you had with you when you are on a mission in space (besides family)?

Thank you for your time and all of the work that you do. God Speed.

~Martin H.

28. Allen Jacot
    NY
    March 14, 9:46 pm

When do you think average people will be able to go to space.

29. Oriana Acevedo
    Puerto Rico
    March 14, 9:45 pm

Hello dears astronauts, I would like how many plants have been there. Thanks :)

30. eig2m
    March 14, 9:44 pm

Has there been any sex between astronauts while in the space station?

31. Allen Jacot
    NY
    March 14, 9:44 pm

Do you ever get homesick when your in space for months?

32. Abhishek C
    India
    March 14, 9:38 pm

Do you get to check out the different stuffs other than Earth , like grabbing a telescope and searching for those awesome Nebulae or a certain star and stuffs likes that?

33. Cheryl F
    Lakewood co
    March 14, 9:36 pm

What would it be like for someone who is afraid of hights , to be in space?

34. Mike Gauthier
    Québec Canada
    March 14, 9:36 pm

Have any of you saw something that can be identified as an UFO ?

35. Karina Kato
    Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
    March 14, 9:33 pm

Hello, guys, thank you for that. I am watching you from Brazil.
    I would like to know which is the sound do you hear in the ISS?And, please, show us Brazil and South America from the space!
    Congratulations.

36. Aaron
    Denver
    March 14, 9:29 pm

Which generates more anxiety; blastoff to space or the return to Earth?

37. Mike Gauthier
    Québec Canada
    March 14, 9:26 pm

What is the greatest new research application completed and in use on earth ?

38. Michael
    New York
    March 14, 9:24 pm

How does living in space for any period effect your body’s metabolism?

39. Allen Jacot
    NY
    March 14, 9:22 pm

Do you ever get motion sick whenever you flip around in space?

40. Bob Schuster
    Denver
    March 14, 9:14 pm

Do you ever see any UFOs?

41. Mike Gauthier
    Québec Canada
    March 14, 9:14 pm

Can all astronaut do an outside walk?

42. emil
    bucharest
    March 14, 9:12 pm

when you come back to earth do you feel heavy from the gravity ..? does objects feel like having more weight?

43. Jurcau Daniel
    Romania-tecuci
    March 14, 9:08 pm

Hi I’m Daniel from Romania and I want to ask how can one become an astronaut?

44. Mike Gauthier
    Québec Canada
    March 14, 9:04 pm

If you are going for the second Time in Space what will you NOT Forget to bring the second Time around?

45. Chris Stieglitz
    Waco, GA.
    March 14, 9:03 pm

I’d love to venture out into space one day. How is it that your body is able to maintain food you eat in space, and does it digest properly as if you were on Earth?

46. Felicia
    Asheville, NC USA
    March 14, 8:57 pm

Hello!

Congratulations on growing vegetables in space! As we have learned earlier in the show, water is a tremendously valuable resource. Do you think we will see the growing application ISS uses in advancing agriculture and lifting up humanity in places where water and food are scarce?
    Also, space gardening must be an amazing reminder of home!
    #HelloFromEarth #livefromspace

47. Rick B.
    Fontana, CA
    March 14, 8:56 pm

Is there a schedule or plan to expand the ISS to accommodate more occupants?

48. Jamie
    Michigan
    March 14, 8:54 pm

Can you watch tv in space?

49. Rick B.
    Fontana, California
    March 14, 8:53 pm

1. How much of your day is scheduled for your work duties and how many hours are you allowed to relax every day?
    2. How much time is spent training here on earth in simulators to familiarize you with the ISS when you arrive there?
    3. Do you play board or card games, if so how do you anchor playing pieces and playing cards?

50. Jamie
    Michigan
    March 14, 8:52 pm

How does you use the space pods?

51. Jurcau Daniel
    Romania-tecuci
    March 14, 8:51 pm

how kant a med to become an astronaut?

52. Caleb Hathaway
    Scappoose, OR
    March 14, 8:46 pm

What happens if you had to have an emergency surgery like a burst appendix? Could it be fixed up there or would you have to come home? Would you be able to stay in space after the surgery? Im curious because i had my appendix burst and had to be in the hospital 2 months.

53. Mike Gauthier
    Québec Canada
    March 14, 8:44 pm

Did any astronaut or cosmonaute ever did a mariage proposal in Space ?

54. Mike Gauthier
    Québec , Canada
    March 14, 8:36 pm

What is the most dangerous food to eat in space ?

55. Cj
    March 14, 8:28 pm

When you grow taller in space, do you feel yourself stretching out?

56. mark hadley
    alaska
    March 14, 8:27 pm

would love to see ham radio equipment on space station. from kl7hd

57. Daniel Mathis
    Seabrook Texas
    March 14, 8:27 pm

Whats the next step after Space Station?

58. Solomon A.
    Grovedale, Alberta, Canada
    March 14, 8:16 pm

What happens when you cut your hair/shave? Does your hair float into the air?

59. Mike Gauthier
    Québec Canada
    March 14, 8:15 pm

Can you see flying airplanes????

60. Solomon A.
    Grovedale, Alberta, Canada
    March 14, 8:14 pm

What happens when you shave/cut your hair?

61. Brad Calder
    Fort Mill SC
    March 14, 7:29 pm

How soon before the asteroid?

62. William Peek
    Fayetteville NC
    March 14, 6:32 pm

I have heard that if astronauts spend a certain amount of time in space in a non-gravity environment, that they cannot return to earth as gravity would prevent them from even being able to breath, stand, walk and that their body would not be able to function properly to allow them to remain in a gravity environment such as earth. Is this true?

63. Debbie D
    Arizona
    March 14, 5:12 pm

Show us our star family! We know there are several extraterrestrials waiting to enter our universe not to mention the millions/billions already here. Disclosure is here whether some want it or not! Earthlings already know they are here and are waiting for this moment … bring it on! What are you waiting for? It only takes one oops moment to spread like wild fire then the Cabal is history! Man up guys!!

64. Conner B.
    Texas
    March 14, 4:01 pm

If you went or even looked far enough, could you see infinite universes?

65. Conner B.
    Texas
    March 14, 4:00 pm

If you went far enough, could you see an ocean of infinite universes?