Q&A: The Real Story of “The Incredible Dr. Pol”

Few veterinarians treat goats with polio and deliver calves in the middle of a thunderstorm.

To Jan Pol, the star of Nat Geo Wild‘s most popular show, The Incredible Dr. Pol, it’s all in a day’s work.

A photo of Dr. Pol
Dr. Pol celebrating a successful calving. Photograph by Michael Stankevich, National Geographic Channel.

Now in its fourth season, The Incredible Dr. Pol follows the rural Michigan veterinarian and his family on his daily duties at his clinic and on nearby farms. (Meet the cast of the show.)

The Dutch native first spent time in central Michigan as a high school exchange student, and officially emigrated to the region as a young man. Dr. Pol’s zest for life and love of animals have made this program a must-watch each week.

I caught up with Dr. Pol’s son Charles, one of the show’s creators and cast members, who gave me an inside look into the hit program.

Q. What made your dad first want to become a veterinarian?

A. My dad, Jan Pol, was born in the Netherlands and grew up on a farm. Initially, he wanted to be a farmer. But there isn’t much farmland left in the Netherlands, so it’s nearly impossible to do. When he was nine years old, his brother called the local vet to help them deliver a litter of piglets. My dad helped the vet, and from that moment on, he knew what he wanted to do.

Watch a clip of the episode How Now Bloated Cow.

How did the idea for the show come about?

At the time, I was working in Los Angeles at Nickelodeon and trying to sell ideas for reality shows. My first idea was turned down, and I was advised to find an idea with a “larger than life character.” I immediately thought of my dad. I pitched the project to a production company, we filmed a sample episode, and my idea became reality. We’ve been on the air for the past four years. (See photos from the show.)

What does it take to shoot and produce a single episode of Dr. Pol?

It takes us roughly one week to film one episode of the show. So a 20-episode season will take us 20 weeks to shoot. We film almost everything that happens, which includes two to six farm calls each day and ten to twelve clinic cases. Dad starts at 8 a.m. sharp, and we usually film until 8 p.m. We pool all the footage together and the best ones make the cut.

How many people are involved in producing the show?

Besides the people on camera, there are over 22 crew members working on the show, and an additional 15 people in post-production. The crew keeps returning year after year, and we’ve become a really big family. We couldn’t make this show without them—it’s a labor of love. (See “17 Things You Didn’t Know About Dr. Pol.”)

What’s the scariest thing that has happened while you were making Dr. Pol?

We’ve had a number of close calls with the crew, but the most dangerous was probably when one crew member got run down by a beef cow. We lost the footage of the incident, so it never made the actual show, but it was really scary.

What was the most amazing thing that happened?

We were filming a calving during season three, in an episode called Back to the Suture. While this calf was being born, a thunderstorm came in. The sky got really dark and the weather was really nasty—it was windy and pouring rain. But my dad just delivered the calf and both mom and baby survived. It was a really special moment to be a part of.

Does your dad have any plans to retire?

Not at all. He loves his job and says it keeps him young and active. He likes to say that when your hobby is your job, you are never working. My dad has always said he will die with his hand up the back of a cow.

Watch new episodes of Nat Geo Wild’s The Incredible Dr. Pol on Saturdays at 9 p.m. EST.

Follow Carrie Arnold on Twitter and Google+.

Comments

1. Joan Jenkins
    Texas
    September 1, 9:40 pm

Avid fan of Dr.Pol until this weeks show administers Rimadyl with no thought of the over 4000 dogs it has killed in the US alone, including our own Schnauzer, Bandit. I am so sad.

2. mike
    montana
    August 31, 1:48 pm

Sick and tired of high flitting people that have a cozy office deciding what is on TV why don’t you people go out and maybe get your hands dirty and let people watch what is good Dr pol is a good family show that is as close to the things this country was founded on but I suppose you will have to put something on about gays now so we can be kindler and gentler tired of this crap getting rid of TV so I don’t have to put up with people in offices not working for a living deciding what is on TV

3. Dustin
    August 31, 12:10 pm

Dr.Pol is the best show that has aired an since theres a few people that dont like it it seems like natgeo sides with them. I think if you dont like the show dont f***in watch it. Theres way more people that love the show than there os that dont. I hate when people think they know everything an dont know a damn thing about it. They talk a buncha bull just show they can have something to say. Greatest show ive seen in a long time. I know of alot of people who have dropped the channel because of there views on things. I’ll be doing the same unless Dr. POL is back on.

4. Kerry
    Missouri
    August 30, 11:13 pm

I hope Dr. Pol or a family member reads this. Dr. Pol reminds me so much of my grandpa. Dr. Robert B. Moody. He was a large animal vet. He had the same attitude as Dr Pol. I lost my grandpa 20 years ago. Watching Dr Pol’s show makes me feel like I’m watching my grandpa. I love every animal out there and I love watching this show. I never miss an episode. Thank you so much Dr Pol for having this show and bringing my granpa back to life for me.

5. Reba Piper
    Bronaugh Missouri
    August 30, 10:32 am

My Granddaughter is thinking of becoming a vet. Right now she is taking Ag classes at Crowder College in Neosho Missouri. She has been talking about working with animals since she was about 4. Cydnee is now 19. your show is very informative. Keep up the good work.

6. Rigglets
    Texas
    August 23, 4:24 pm

To answer my own question, Dr. Sandra’s last name is Wiesnewski and somewhere in one of these blogs, I read where some other vet had enticed Dr. Sandra to quit Dr. Pol and work for him/her. Maybe that was when Dr. Pol was being investigated?

7. Arly
    Alberta Canada
    August 17, 9:48 pm

Too many “city” veterinarian clinics are merely “selling” and/or up selling products and services that are questionable. This is a chance to see an actual animal vet, rather than “little human people in fur coats” being pampered by pet industry profiteers.

8. Barb Spaid
    Davison
    August 16, 7:28 pm

I love this show. We can not even begin to wonder how this family kerps going. He is the only vet aroind that treats both small and large animals. He has a pstient load of over 19000 clients and I dont know how big of an area he covers.But it is astronomical.He drives sometimes three or more miles to get to clients places.So anyone that wants to say anything about this vet needs to keep quiet.Some of the medical hsve a stellar repuyation as he does. And I want to say saw you a few weeks ago in the Mayville Michigan Sunflower festival.As you see he was the grand marshall of the parade. Take an read the biography of this man and his wife. It is toyally refrehing to sre a normal persons life story. They have contributed so much tothis state and country. Love you Dr.Pol and family.

9. Ranchette
    August 14, 11:14 pm

BRING BACK DR POL UNCUT UNCENSORED

10. kelky
    ludington Michigan
    August 10, 11:52 pm

We so miss Dr Pol, we love him, his family and his passion for all critters…

11. E Dunbar
    Macon, GA
    August 10, 5:34 pm

Having lived on a farm all my life and dealt with all kinds of animal emergencies I feel right at home with Dr Pol. My husband and I enjoy his up front attitude and truthfulness. I would love to spend an entire day with him and his family. They are what this country needs more of. Please keep this kind hearted Dr on our favorite channel.

12. Paula Walker
    Euless, Tx
    August 9, 8:06 pm

We are so looking forward to Dr. Pol returning on TV. When will he return? We love the show!

13. Pam
    Washington
    August 2, 2:15 pm

My grandkids and I love Dr. Pol, where has he gone? When will he be back on? Looking forward to seeing him again.

14. Ellen H
    August 2, 12:20 pm

Dr Pol was a backward vet and I cringed watching his “treatment” of several cases. He is not that rural- and has access to knowledge- I particularity screamed at the episode where a dog presented in what even i knew needed an ultrasound, etc., and dr Pol prescribed tetracycline! Of all antibiotics, tetracycline! And the owner, who I believe was local police man, was willing to do anything and everything but Pol said “just tetracycline” or some such nonsense. And of course at the end the scroll says the owner finally took the dog to MSU, had the ultrasound, but it was too late and the dog died. Your Yukon vet is a much better example.

15. Gail Kipp
    Arlington Heights Il.
    August 2, 12:02 pm

Please!!! Where is Dr. Pol????I hate the Yukon Vet show….so fake!!! I love Dr. Pol on Sat mornings!! Please bring him back!!! It brings back “real” to t.v.!! Help!!! Bring him back!!!!!

16. joe and carol toth
    bremen in.
    July 25, 5:12 pm

please bring dr. pol back thank you

17. joe and carol toth
    bremen in.
    July 25, 5:10 pm

please bring dr. pol back on saturday nights this is one of your best shows thank you .

18. Stephanie
    Diamond, Oh
    July 21, 6:39 pm

We really miss watching Dr. Pol on Saturday night. Please bring him back!

19. Maxine C
    Dallas
    July 19, 9:51 pm

I love Dr. Pol and the entire staff. The show is very informative and show you things you may not ever see. I miss the show. I looked forward to Saturdays so I could watch it. PLEASE bring Dr. Pol back!!!!

20. Leigh
    Maryland
    July 17, 9:40 pm

Please bring Dr. Pol back! We really enjoy the show!

21. Zina Nugent
    Arkansas
    July 12, 11:38 am

I love Dr. Pol, I sure hope that the show continues. I too have searched every Sat. and have not found the show. The show is very informative and entertaining. I will wait to see you again, Dr. Pol.

22. Raynes
    San Carlos, CA
    July 12, 1:17 am

Missing Dr. Pol new episodes. This is a great show. The NatGeo website masthead shows all new episodes. I sure hope the show is returning.

23. Margaret Powell
    De Kalb, TX
    July 8, 11:07 pm

I miss his show on Sat night on National Geographic.

24. Ann Rhodes
    Derry, NH
    July 8, 12:52 pm

My daughter and I have tried to find Dr. Pol on the Saturday night time slot and couldn’t find it. We had no idea he was taken off the schedule. Why??? He is the best program that I have ever watched and if this is politics–shame on you. Hopefully you will pay attention to the people who love this show and return him to his time slot. Also the Yukon Vet was so different and we enjoyed her show as well. Please return them to the programs that you produce.

25. Keiko fabacher
    Austin,tx.
    July 5, 5:59 pm

looking forward to seeing Dr. Pol again

26. linda holbrook
    long beach ca
    July 4, 6:17 pm

I love this show I watched it since the beginning you know that nat geo shouldn’t cancel it because of a couple of complaints. Don’t. bend to negative people dr pol is to good BRING IT BACK

27. diane beagle
    polson mt your show thanks
    July 2, 9:09 pm

my husband and I love

28. Clay Burdiss
    Barlow, Ohio
    June 27, 2:56 pm

Please don’t take Dr. Pol off the air. It is one of the few shows on TV that is family friendly. My whole family watches it every week! If it is taken off we will not watch any other show on your network! I believe you are caving to the few!

29. John Kozak
    Ray, Mich
    June 18, 2:23 pm

I was getting so tired of the contrived crap passed off as “reality” shows. Finally a re-freshening genuine show gets it right and the Nat Geo idiots see fit to not show it.

30. Laura
    Pennsylvania
    June 14, 10:34 am

Put Dr. Pol back on! It’s the only show you have I watched. And I watched it religiously. Bring it back!

31. TERRY MARCUS
    OLD BRIDGE, NJ
    June 13, 8:58 pm

My wife and I have been watching DR Pol and wondering why we don t see episodes anymore. Please respond

32. CJ
    TN
    June 13, 10:49 am

I’ve read several negative opinions on another website which “seem” to have it in for Dr. Pol. The author repeats over and over how the board in MI has given him a violation. You hear me!!!??? “A” violation! Not many, just one! And yet the board still let him practice! I know of many vets who have multiple violations. Big whoop! It happens. No one is perfect, and by the way…he even says so! He tells us over and over on his episodes of the way he does things, and how he doesn’t practice conventional medicine.

Another complaint was about how a dog that had a damaged eyeball, and other animals not being anesthetized. I guess the editors left out the part where the dog and other animals scream in pain and bounce off walls. But, if he didn’t anesthetize an animal he told us why, and why he chose to do a lot of procedures the way he did!

Regardless of what we think or don’t think about him as a vet, his clients, most who’ve been with him for many years, love him very much. So people, the proof is in the pudding! I don’t think these people, big farm or not, would continue to give them their business. If he was a negligent vet, the board would have taken his license many, many years ago.

All that side, I hate when a network has a hit show and because of a few negative opinions, decide to take it off the air! They run the shows for however long they can milk it and then show their loyalty by canning them! Poo on NatGeo! If nothing else the show is entertainment, which many have said. So put the show back on and stand by your programs and the people.

33. Brenda Forman
    Virginia
    June 11, 7:09 pm

The bureaucracy seems to have it in for Dr. Pol. Here is a man who is out in all weathers, saving the lives of animals and the livelihood of farmers, and the wretched review boards seem hell-bent on getting the show off the air. I very much doubt that anyone one of them would EVER risk their well-manicured nails by shoving a hand up a cow’s rear end to see if she was pregnant! NatGeoWild clearly has not an iota of courage because at the very first peep, they took the show off the air. Clearly, the whole channel is totally devoid of either guts or courage. They have a wonderful hit show and what do they do? Run for cover the moment anybody squeaks. I LOVE the show and I now think I LOATHE the channel. Mayb the show might migrate to another channel???

34. Judy Slater
    Carnation WA
    June 8, 8:12 pm

WONDERFUL – but have not been able to find lately. Some rumors of cancellation – DON’T DO IT – Dr. Pol and wife, Diane and the rest of his crew are TOTALLY REAL – not some phoney bunch of actors. DON’T TAKE AWAY such a GREAT show – REALITY please!!!!!!

35. Barbara Manley
    astoria, oregon
    June 1, 5:13 pm

I love the show. When I was young I wanted to be a vet. Worked for one. But I get so irritated when certain scenes are pixilated (for fear of offending). It’s a vet show. We want to see “vet things” If a surgery makes you ill, you won’t be watching a show about animal illness and accidents. Show it all. Thank you.

36. Jane
    Murfreesboro TN
    May 31, 10:37 pm

What has happened to Dr Pol? We keep searching and cannot find him anywhere. Grand kids and great nieces all come over and we have a full house watching the show. Has turned into family bonding time.

37. Larry Solomone
    South Carolina
    May 31, 10:15 am

My wife and I love Dr Pol…..Nat Geo don’t stop this show

38. William Coder, DVM
    Iowa
    May 25, 9:21 pm

Why do we have a time finding Dr. Pol’s schedule?, we usually watch on Saturday evenings but are having a time finding him.
    Please advise. Thank you

39. donna hankamer
    May 25, 2:19 am

is Doctor Pol coming back,, I miss his films most of my whole family really enjoy his program…………………..do not leave and I hope he is alright

donna hankamer

40. Janet A Bissonette
    Burlington, Vermont
    May 16, 10:32 am

I certainly hope that the Incredible Dr. Pol is not being edged out by the Dr. from the Yukon. They are both really great programs each in their own right. This is the first time that I have seen a HIT SHOW (Incredible Dr. Pol) tried to be copied by another Vet show and actually covered both the wild and the tame(?) clients. Usually you guys fail terribly trying to duplicate a hit show. ie: Tanked and the copy Fish Tank Kings. I don’t care for Fish Tank Kings AT ALL.
    If you people would only learn that when you have a hit show ‘DON’T MESS WITH SUCCESS!!.
    JB

41. Rigglets
    Texas
    May 10, 7:04 pm

What happened to Dr. Sandra? And what happened to Charles’ girlfriend whom he called “Baby”? Is there a chance some episode will show more of that incredible log home that Diane and Dr. Pol live in? It’s magnificent.

42. Karan Williams
    Adelphi, Maryland
    May 7, 3:05 pm

Wow such a great adventure – everytime and I watch all the time. I love animals but have learned and come to appreciate God’s creation through the show. I admire you Dr. Pol you are incredible and the energy is awesome. Mrs. Diane – you are a diamond for your faithfulness to your call; Charles, your Dad is really proud of you, Dr. Brenda, girlfriend you keep it moving – you are amazing – Dr. Pol needs you. Would like to see more of Dr. Sandra and the Hollywood Glamour Vet from California – she was a stitch…

43. Ruth McCurdy
    Littlerock, Ca.
    April 27, 3:33 pm

I would like to know why we are not getting any new shows, just reruns. We love the show.

44. Marilyn
    Los Angeles
    April 27, 3:50 am

I thoroughly enjoy the show and adore the staff…it reminds me of my childhood. I found the show about 6 weeks ago and record all episodes. I do have one teensy complaint or suggestion….I think we could do without the captioned comments that appear on the screen..I know they are meant to be amusing, but they are annoying and detract from the show. sorry….”Im just saying”…

45. Alexa and Henry
    Ft Worth, TX
    April 26, 3:17 pm

Love the show and watch it religiously. Dr. Pol is very inspiring and his dedication is outstanding. We also love Dr. Brenda..We have a small ranch and wish Dr. Pol and Dr. Brenda were our vets! Hoping for many many more seasons to come!

46. Nikki Simmons
    Elverson Pennsylvania
    April 25, 9:01 pm

Are you going to have DVDS of your show. So people can buy them.

47. Rebecca
    Minnesota
    April 21, 1:33 am

I absolutely LOVE Dr. Pol!! I wish I could bring my cats to him but since I cannot, I will continue to watch every episode! There is no better vet than him and the concern he shows for each and every animal is so special! I will watch for as long as he is on!!

48. Rebecca weber
    Wis
    April 16, 3:58 pm

Dr pol and family ,my family loves your show ! I grew up on a farm my kids played and worked on a farm more kids need to do this . Please stay on the air love love your show !!!

49. Donna Chalos
    Crown Point In
    April 12, 9:48 pm

I agree with Kenneth May. I love this show and so does my family and friends. We talk about the latest episodes when we get together. I’ve gotten several of my coworkers hooked on the show. We have a small farm-goats,sheep,llamas,chickens,turkeys,and miniature donkeys. We see nothing wrong with Dr Pol’s techniques. People who often criticize don’t live with animals. I am a medical professional myself and understand there is what we learn in theory and what is real world choices. If there is anything we can do to keep this show on let us know! We also love your letting us see your personal side. You have a wonderful family! We love you all! You make our Saturday nights!

50. Kevelyn
    Rochester IN
    April 12, 9:56 am

What ever happened to Dr Sandra…..haven’t seen her for a long time…??

51. Judy
    Indiana
    April 8, 1:27 pm

Love your program, I try never to miss an episode. I just called my vet to give him your schedule of programs he wants to tune in. He is about your age and he’s a good fellow with more stories than you can imagine. Keep up these wonderful programs and helping the animals to feel better. Take care of yourself you are a hard worker and we all love you, and your family.

52. Hailee Brinkley
    north bend or
    April 8, 12:26 pm

i love you Dr.Pol.

53. Gloria Young
    Littlerock CA
    April 7, 1:08 pm

First I want to say that I love you DR. POL. I was raised on a farm in GA.
    I live to see your show. I wish I could meet your ” GREAT”!! family in person one of these days. I am a animal lover.

54. Bagasman
    Jember, Indonesia
    April 6, 4:48 am

Hey, please tell your father, Jan Pol, that he is inspired me to be a great Vet like him :D

55. M. Miller
    Farmington, MO
    April 6, 3:43 am

Just wanted to say I wish Dr. Pol was vet to MY dog & 3 cats! They do have a good veterinarian looking after them, but from the absolute first time I saw this show I knew I’d ‘met’ a great man! His level of caring for his patients & their owners, too, is so high it’s amazing to watch. Much of my childhood was spent on a farm surrounded by good country people & watching Dr. Pol really brings back good memories! Reality shows have never been my style but I was hooked from day one, & when the show was on hiatus I felt incredibly sad. Just found it again a few weeks ago & I’m ecstatic once again.

56. Hope Magnuson
    April 6, 2:28 am

Hi…like the rest of the viewing world I LOVE Dr. Pol. Is there an animal charity he likes, if so I would like to donate and get involved in in his honor. There are so many of his fans that say how much they would like to meet him, and or spend time working with him. I have an idea; what if you raffled off spending a day or an afternoon with him or his clinic for his favorite charity? I’m sure the response would be HUGE!!!!
    I would love to help. Much love to Dr. Pol. He is an incredible human being,,,, From Hope in southern california

57. jh
    AZ
    April 5, 9:45 pm

I originally started watching this show with my elementary daughter. She dreams of becoming a Vet someday. I wanted her to watch the show to A) show her the commitment of taking of animals. B) show that the work requires many Vets to be working long hours. She still loves the show and admires Dr. Pol at his age. She knows he loves the animals and the people. And she still wants to be just like him!

58. Chris Van Epps
    NY
    April 5, 9:11 pm

I lo’ve the show. I found a two week old.kitten bottled Fed every two hours. it turned out he is a wobbler. A lot of work but he is cute and spoilt I lived in Holland when I was a teenager Voorborg near the Hague. keep the show great family atmosphere

59. Vanessa Martin
    NC
    April 4, 9:29 pm

My husband and I love your show. My husband has around 150 beef cattle. He forget the time when he goes to the farm he has leased to check on his cattle.
    I do have a question for Dr. Pol, my husband would love to meet you and I was wondering if we came to Michigan would that be possible? He said he would love to go with you on visits and help in anyway he could. This would make his day!!
    If this would be possible, at least, just to meet you, please email me and let me know. He has a birthday in July, I would love to surprise him with this.

Thank you for such a fantastic show.
    Vanessa Martin

60. Alison Kukelhan
    Decatur, IN
    March 30, 7:57 pm

This is my twin 3.5 yr old granddaughter’s favorite show. They cry when its not on. Please keep it coming!!!

61. Denise
    New Jersey
    March 29, 10:08 pm

My family and I enjoy the show, especially my 89.5 y.o. Mom. We appreciate how difficult the vet’s career is. Dr. Pol and his family team are outstanding. Every community needs a Dr. Pol!
    We continue to look forward to each episode, and watch even the repeats. Keep up this great show:)

62. Netty L
    Lockport Ny
    March 29, 8:50 pm

I so love watching your show. I am a HUGE animal lover and it is a great thing to see such an amazing vet and staff and what they do to save and care for animals. I want to come spend a day with you. I will not want to leave! You are awesome Dr Pol and company!,

63. Lynda little
    Miss
    March 29, 7:28 pm

Was raised on dairy farm- love animals and love love this show. I would love to meet the Pol family- they must be awesome people. Need more shows like this .

64. Debbie
    Atlanta,Ga
    March 29, 2:24 pm

I love the show.It’s one program my husband and I can enjoy together. Thanks.

65. Donna Trusler
    Batavia, OH (Cincinnati)
    March 29, 12:17 am

I so love watching Dr. Pol. He is such a sweet and compassionate person. I wish he was on every day. Dr. Brenda is so great also. Diane and Charles are awesome too. Love, love, love this show.

66. Stacey Herrin
    Dallas, NC
    March 28, 10:10 pm

Absolutely love this show! My kids and I watch it every week and would very disappointed if it gets cancelled. Keep on doing your thing Doc Pol you’re awesome!

67. Kenneth May
    warren michigan
    March 22, 10:57 pm

Just got done watching the show march 22 2014 what a great show. I live in the city and have done so all my life. I am 55. After the show I went to the web site, I have never been there. I was enjoying the pictures and i noticed one where there was a petition to take the show off the air. I WAS VERY ANGRY!!! I could not believe some idiot would see anything wrong with this show. I hope you will be on for years to come. There are only 2000 signatures. That has to be about half a percent of the people who watch the show. Do you know if there is a petition to keep the show,I would gladly sign it and would get everyone I know to sign it too. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Thank you for such a great show. Keep up the good work I am a big fan. Go Dr Pol

68. Gloria Colter
    Gainesville, GA
    March 22, 10:43 am

Love the show since I have been involved with horses and other animals nearly all my life. Have been disappointed only once recently when Charles let go the G–d— word when he was fixing Easter brunch for his parents who were at church. He should follow their example and attend church with them and learn how important it is to revere God.

69. Earl Miller
    mpls. mn.
    March 21, 12:56 pm

I never miss a show and would like to meet him. I have a strong interest in animals. Earl

70. Sandy Brown
    League City,Texas
    March 16, 1:54 pm

Dr. Pol, Charles,Diane and Dr. Brenda:

I have no words to explain just how much my husband and I enjoy your show!’ I have no doubt that the show IS your TRUE personalities! My husband and i have raised two labs (who lived to 14 and 16 years old). We now have a black lab puppy that had problems and we had a hard time finding a Vet that seemed to have your passion for their profession. We are front and center for every episode. You have our utmost respect and praise. Thanks for sharing your experiences! Love all of y’all!!!

71. Steve Driscoll
    Pasadena, Texas
    March 15, 10:07 pm

I love the show. Dr.Pol reminds me so much of my dad who was also a veterinarian. Dr. Pol has the same heart for animals that my father possessed. He had a vet save his beagle as a kid and resolved to become a vet. Night or day, rain or shine he never turned down a client’s request to tend a sick or injured animal and said he too would die taking care of some animal. He practiced until two months before his death at age 93 and was honored as the oldest practicing veterinarian in Texas the year before his death.

72. gisi
    pennsylvania
    March 15, 9:56 pm

i have an African grey (16 years old) and the problem is he’s as bold as an egg?????? he’s never alone so anxiety is not a problem.. so what do you think his problem is?? I think vitamin? if so what should I try??? any suggestions? thank you

73. Kathy Nash
    Oregon
    March 7, 12:26 pm

Dr Pol:
    Love your show, Learn a lot by watching it. I noticed that you sedate cattle under there tails, is that just for sedation? Or do you give vaccines that way to??

74. Sandra Lee Barnett
    Florida
    March 4, 6:25 pm

I am a Pol addict. The show is truly amazing. Dr. Pol reminds me of my horse vet, who would do anything to save my horse. It takes a special person to be a vet. They are on call 24/7. But I don’t like the new “funny” quips this year on screen. Not necessary, distracting & not funny! Please remove them. Dr. Pol & family are clever all by themselves.

75. Joanne
    New York
    March 4, 1:05 pm

Are there any black people in that area of Michigan. I watch the show but never see people of any color on the show or come to the clinic.

76. Dwayne LaGrou
    Lapeer, Michigan
    March 3, 8:24 am

Thanks Jerry, I am very familiar with Wiedman. A close friend of mine had a Grandmother that just passed away that lived there. Very beautiful area of mid Michigan with many Amish in the area. I have also been trail riding in the area. Tons of fun!!!

77. Jerry
    detroit
    March 2, 6:02 am

I agree It’s a great show. His practice is in Weidman, which is just north west of Mt Pleasant. That’s home to central Michigan university.

78. Dwayne LaGrou
    Lapeer, Michigan
    February 28, 10:54 pm

I haven’t had the opportunity to see the show, But it sounds exciting. I also live in the “Thumb Area” of Michigan in Lapeer and was wondering where the farm is located. There are some of the greatest farms in Michigan and it’s great to showcase our wonderful state in this way. I’ll be looking for the next show now. Thank You Nat. Geo for sharing this story.