Elephant Killed for TV Show

I’ve been on a rant for a few days against an NRA show that thinks killing an elephant for fun is good TV.  The host of the show, an NRA lobbyist, is on a big game hunt for elephants in Botswana, Africa.  The guide leads the host, Tony Makris, to a spot near where a bull elephant is calmly grazing, unaware of their presence.  Some scrub bushes separate the hunter from the elephant’s line of sight.

Makris then shoots the elephant in the head three times, killing it.  Later he and the guide are shown drinking a toast to their great day of elephant killing, and saying how great it is to harvest an elephant and bring back the ivory.  The whole thing made me disgusted and angry so I finally decided to record some of my thoughts on why I found this whole program and Makris and his posturing so offensive.

I’ve also included some of the alarming facts on the rise in elephant poaching, which makes the killing of one for fun and a TV show even more reprehensible.  And not that anyone needs reminding of just how charismatic and special elephants are, wait I take that back since apparently Makris and his ilk do, but I’ve also included some footage I shot of elephants at Singita Lebombo Lodge in South Africa.

I also talk about this senseless and sickening killing of an elephant this weekend on my radio show, “National Geographic Weekend.”

Comments

1. Geoff Harper
    Colorado
    November 1, 2013, 11:50 am

Ineptitude manifested. Deplorable behaviour. Disgusting.

2. Namibia PH
    October 18, 2013, 3:36 am

Culling or harvesting of elephants is done in Botswana and other countries in order to maintain herd size that the area can sustain as determined by wildlife biologists.

Botswana has over 130,000 elephants with a habitat estimated to be able to sustain less than half that number.

The oldest bulls are the main target of these harvests as they wear out their 6th set of teeth with age and will die of starvation. During this end of life process these bulls get very ornery and tear down trees (vital for wildlife) and attack villages killing people and ruining crops that sustain villagers.

Botswana and other countries sell high fee hunting permits to their PH’s (professional hunters) who in turn sell hunting trips for specific game animals per the wildlife biologist’s studies.

The large fees generated from these hunts go back into the government to support the biologists, anti-poaching law enforcement and the local communities, etc.

The meat from an elephant approx. 3-4,000 pounds from an aged-out bull is harvested from the animal by the local villagers and provides their food. They do not have grocery stores; they get their food from wild game in the bush and small vegetable gardens which are also trampled by angry old bulls. Ivory is not allowed to be imported in many countries including the USA.

In place of hunters the government will now cull the herds by shooting the elephants from helicopters –which will not be broadcast on television and no fees will be earned.

Africa is unlike most people’s homelands and has its’ own unique requirements, which most people simply cannot imagine by watching television from the comfort of their 21st century homes with modern conveniences and numerous stores full of groceries with meats and vegetables processed by others without need to get one’s hands soiled from butchering and farming.

3. Bob Lee
    USA
    October 7, 2013, 8:53 am

It is important to note: In Botswana and South Africa, “culling” elephants is required to protect the precarious ecology: Too many elephants – and not enough food in the dry season – creates a hazard for neighboring herds and crops.

The real hero is the unnamed private reserve “tracker” who selected the elderly elephant for Tony Makris to kill: The old one-tusked male elephant had taken to hiding in thick brush to avoid attack by younger male elephant gangs. In short, it was likely to become too dangerous to humans, as well as to other elephants – while it was already old enough to pass on its genes.

Makris, on the other hand, was just another retired Marine goofing off as a foreign tourist – and failed to demonstrate any real hunting prowess requiring at least three shots to takedown the elephant – which requires real working knowledge of your prey.

Real hunters track, hunt, and prepare to eat their kill: Tourists kill, take trophies, and sell the kill to local villagers for meat.

4. Dr. Ken Schmidt
    Modesto, CA
    October 4, 2013, 5:07 pm

Disgusting. The NRA should be ashamed. The ‘hunters’ are hardly that. They are no better than poachers, pure and simple. Where is the ‘sport’ in what they did?

5. Dumbo Raged
    October 4, 2013, 11:27 am

Lynn, Youtube is a good place to start as these idiots, show hosts and producers, have a place where they can relive their crimes. At the same time they can see what everyone thinks of them.

Causes.com has a petition on taking this show off the air

6. Serap Yavuzbas
    Turkey
    October 4, 2013, 7:11 am

How unpleasant what happened. Obviously that media is still after ratings for “obvious majority”! Which are not interested in “how it is done”!

My best wishes

Serap :-)

7. Valerie T
    Maryland
    October 4, 2013, 6:05 am

I go between profound sadness and absolute disgust.

8. terry
    Tacoma, WA
    October 3, 2013, 10:32 pm

Humans are terrible. No animal other than a human would spend a large amount of resources to fly to Africa, give more resources to another animal to show it a third animal, kill that animal and then not eat it.

9. Lynn Kintz
    Pennsylvania
    October 3, 2013, 4:34 pm

I saw part of this program by accident. I’d dozed off during the one before and woke to see them weighing bloody elephant tusks with the NRA identification at the commercial break. This is outrageous (and isn’t it illegal?). Is there anywhere I can add my voice in protest?

10. CM
    NY
    October 3, 2013, 2:40 pm

I can’t believe how spiritless and insensitive these men are. I dare not watch the video. May they reap the “benefits” of their incomprehensible deeds.