Beauty of the Beast

Video of Sprinting Cheetahs a First in Wildlife Photography

Reporting by Roff Smith with Glenn Oeland

The slow-motion video is entrancing, revealing the fluid grace of the world’s fastest land animal. Every part of the sprinting cat’s anatomy—supple limbs, rippling muscles, hyperflexible spine—works together in a symphony of speed.

The extraordinary footage—captured last summer during an intensive three-day shoot at the Cincinnati Zoo—is unprecedented in its clarity and detail. “I’ve watched cheetahs run for 30 years,” said Cathryn Hilker, founder of the zoo’s Cat Ambassador Program. “But I saw things in that super slow-motion video that I’ve never seen before.”

The project was an outgrowth of a feature story about cheetahs published in the November issue of National Geographic. Kim Hubbard, the story’s photo editor, and cinematographer Greg Wilson brought together an A-team that included some of Hollywood’s hottest action and stunt cameramen to attempt a first in wildlife photography.

“Running cheetahs have been photographed using high-speed cameras,” Hubbard said. “But never has one been filmed with a high-speed camera moving alongside it at 50 or 60 miles an hour.”

To pull it off, the crew built a 400-foot-long track with a remote-control sled to keep pace with each cheetah. On the sled were a high-definition digital cinema camera firing off 1,200 frames a second and three cameras shooting 42 frames a second in sequence. A 150,000-watt light illuminated the course.

Keeping the train of high-tech gear in split-second synch with the sprinting cheetahs was daunting. One of the zoo’s cheetahs, a female named Sarah, broke the world record for the standing 100-meter dash, clocking a time of 5.95 seconds. She proved particularly difficult to photograph, often outrunning the camera sled. “We started calling her the ‘ghost cat,’” Hubbard said.

It wasn’t until the last night of the shoot that everything finally clicked and the team got the shot they were hoping for. “I think my heart rate was running higher than the cheetahs,” quipped camera operator Frank Buono, whose credits include action sequences in James Bond movies.  “This was one of the most challenging shoots I’ve ever done, and one of the most rewarding as well.”

Roff Smith wrote “Cheetahs on the Edge” for National Geographic Magazine.

——–

December 9th-15th, Nat Geo WILD presents a week dedicated to nature’s fiercest felines—big cats—creatures of magnificent strength, ferocity and beauty that are rapidly facing extinction. With visually stunning and powerful stories from around the world, get closer than ever before to lions, tigers, cheetahs, panthers and more as you share in their triumphs, defeats, and epic struggles to survive.

Follow NG’s Big Cats Initiative on Twitter

More about Nat Geo WILD’s Big Cat Week

Other posts from Big Cat Week:

Closer Look: Warriors for Conservation

Closer Look: Sleeping with Lions

Closer Look: Making Friends with Technology

Closer Look: Closer Look: Tanzanian Community Rallies to End Illegal Lion Killings

Comments

1. bioclimatizacion
    February 22, 2013, 4:39 am

Wonderful work! This is the kind of information that are supposed to be shared around the internet. Disgrace on the search engines for not positioning this put up higher! Come on over and visit my site . Thank you =)

2. Denise Gibson
    South Africa
    January 13, 2013, 7:12 am

Absolutely stunning photography. I would like the word to see some photos of our rhinos who are being slaughtered for a horn made of hair. Will our great grandchildren ever get to see a live rhino? Please save the rhino.

3. Denise Gibson
    South Africa
    January 13, 2013, 7:08 am

Absolutely stunning. Maybe someone should send photos of our rhinos who are being slaughtered for a horn made of hair. I doubt whether my great grandchildren will see a live rhino. Thank you for all the beautiful photography.

4. geetha
    coimbatore
    December 29, 2012, 12:11 am

thrilling sight

5. mr. max
    Tennessee
    December 8, 2012, 11:27 pm

Stunning cat, beautiful in motion! But could we also remember the cat is in such fantastic flight to kill and devour another wonderful creature. Death never looked so good. Kudos to the team who took these wonderful pictures.

6. Teresa Haines
    Salem , Oregon. 97303
    December 4, 2012, 12:56 am

A wonderful job of filming a beautiful animal, also loved the music and the list of names and places of the viewers from all over our world……..all appreciating this beauty. . .another reason I love National Geographic! Thank you all

7. Teresa Haines
    Salem, Oregon
    December 4, 2012, 12:41 am

A beautiful job of filming a beautiful animal. I loved the music and reading the names and places of the viewers was exciting too. . . From all over our world…….all appreciating this beauty. That’s another reason I love national geographic! Thank you all

8. Mohan
    Bangalore
    December 3, 2012, 11:03 am

it’s perfection is mirrored in your work,.

9. Daniel Deschesnes
    St-Bruno-de-Montarville, Québec, Canada
    December 2, 2012, 11:05 am

Mother Nature’s infinite beauty, grace and agility in impressive vivid details. One of its offspring, Humans, delivering the means and investing the time to bring it to an accessible form for anyone’s enjoyment and enlightenment. An admirable gesture of gratitude to Nature. Thank you.

10. D. Chi Occhio
    On. Canada
    December 2, 2012, 10:44 am

Goal, Focus, Co-ordination and Execution, all required ingredients for perfection and accomplishments as demonstrated in this magnificent recording of a magnificent creature. Just immagine what humanity could be like if humans could harness these same qualities in their social organizations ?

11. Godfrey
    Canada
    December 1, 2012, 5:57 pm

Every sinew created and recreated and created again, to obtain a being whose beauty and power can never be recreated once lost. There will be other beings, much that is beautiful, many who are powerful. But, this being is art. Raw art. Living art. The type of art that only nature can create and sustain, mold and remold. But, the type of art that goes easily unnoticed, art that becomes so easily erased by humanity. Thank-you for your work. It is absolutely beautiful.

12. Dots
    Tatlock, Ontario
    December 1, 2012, 4:45 pm

Truly AWESOME!! Thank you

13. Allison Larabie
    Canada
    December 1, 2012, 11:53 am

What an amazing shot! Such incredible beauty in this graceful animal. She always had her eye on the prize the entire time. Such focus for a speed runner! Thank you for the amazing video! (:

14. Juan Pizarro
    Chila
    November 30, 2012, 7:44 pm

Es una sinfonía; hermosa y potente.
    Gracias.

15. Tony L
    November 30, 2012, 7:30 pm

I have had a casual love affair with Cheetahs since I was quite young. Should I be embarassed to say this video nearly brought me to tears? I was totally abducted, kidnapped from my desk at home and transported to an angel’s perch alongside this stunningly beautiful animal. I sat staring, unblinking at this breathtaking creature in action. Any attempt to express my gratitude to those who struggled to capture this for us to gaze at in awe and wonder would fall woefully short. Instead, simply, Thank You.

16. Richard
    mediapolis,iowa
    November 30, 2012, 6:44 pm

Very graceful and amazing creatures! I love cats like those

17. Ted Morrar
    November 30, 2012, 2:29 pm

Thanks to the Creator for taking time to replicate His image in this awesome animal. This is truly the definition of beauty…we now need bounty of this magnificent creature.

18. Verma .N.K..
    India
    November 30, 2012, 9:39 am

Really commendable.Worthy of praise.

19. Jim Hewitt
    Fullerton, California
    November 29, 2012, 7:35 pm

As a wildlife photographer I can appreciate the GREAT job done here. You all captured what this beautiful cat is known for. Good Job!

20. Lisa Watt
    Prince George, BC, Canada
    November 29, 2012, 7:02 pm

My favourite part is the huge femoral artery visible running down the medial hind limb. The circulatory demand for such a sprint must be absolutely enormous. Stunning video!

21. Orhan
    Turkey
    November 29, 2012, 2:46 pm

Fantastic video. Very humbling.
    A huge “Thank you” to everyone involved in the effort.
    I will make sure to share the video to help raise awareness.

22. Manuel Espinoza
    San Jose, Costa Rica
    November 29, 2012, 12:51 pm

Amazing. Thanks for posting this.

23. Paolo
    Brussels, Belgium
    November 29, 2012, 11:39 am

Amazing….! Thank you.
    My little daughter is fascinated !
    Nature is the best.

24. Karl
    SWEDEN
    November 29, 2012, 5:52 am

Just GREAT!

25. Hannah gray
    November 29, 2012, 2:17 am

Yes. A true symphony of speed. Thank you.

26. Y Subba Rao
    Mumbai
    November 29, 2012, 1:53 am

Amazing. What is more amazing is its concentration and virtually there is no movement of head. Great.

27. Cheryl
    Townsville
    November 29, 2012, 12:58 am

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! I love cheetahs and have always been fascinated by their capacity to run so effortlessly. The fluidity of movement this video captures and the detail (paw expansion, muscle movement, body contortion, claw visibility) brought tears to my eyes. So, so, so, thankful you went to the effort to produce such a beautiful video….thanks guys!!!!!!

28. califa
    florida
    November 28, 2012, 1:35 pm

kitty

29. Deepak Sen
    Kolkata
    November 28, 2012, 10:56 am

Simply superb! When will National Geography present next such video ?

30. maria elena iwanoczko
    jose c. paz - argentina
    November 28, 2012, 9:30 am

Realmente magnífico el trabajo que realizaron…..!!!! es un mimo para el alma….!!! FELICITACIONES….!!!!

31. Mabel
    Philadelphia PA
    November 28, 2012, 9:23 am

Awesome! Beautiful! Amazing to see the beauty in the animal world. It hurts to think how people are so careless that we are killing these and many other animals that we need for our own survival on this Earth. We have to live together to live. Thanks

32. CTieman
    TEXAS
    November 28, 2012, 8:43 am

WOW! Made me cry too! What a perfect compilation of speed, power, grace and agility!!! Thanks to all who participated in bringing these shots to a VERY appreciative audience!

33. osahi uwaifo
    Lagos, Nigeria
    November 28, 2012, 5:10 am

fascinating and breathtaking!

34. albert
    Tanzania
    November 28, 2012, 1:55 am

One of the amazing video,one of the beautiful animal in the wild.

35. Aaraksha Ghimire
    japan
    November 28, 2012, 1:48 am

beautifil creature , save the cats.

36. ghimire aaraksha
    japan
    November 28, 2012, 1:38 am

made me happy !
    save cats.

37. Aaraksha Ghimire
    japan
    November 28, 2012, 1:36 am

remarkable vedio !! cool
    really amazing movement .

38. ghimire aaraksha
    japan
    November 28, 2012, 1:35 am

amazaing movement

39. Maureen Donovan
    Victoria, Canada
    November 28, 2012, 12:45 am

I watch this over and over again and never tire of it. What a beautiful, truly awesome feline. You have captured it purrfectly.

40. taliea
    Sistan and Baluchistan (city Kash)
    November 27, 2012, 10:49 pm

taliea
    Hi
    Thank you attractive program, do not bother …
    I am from Iran.
    I wish you Health …

41. Jeffy Jose
    Hyderabad, India
    November 27, 2012, 10:28 pm

I thought it was weird to cry watching this, the comments made me feel otherwise. I’ve seen nothing as beautiful as this. Thank you to everyone behind the effort.

42. DM
    San Diego, CA
    November 27, 2012, 9:22 pm

Absolutely stunning footage. Mesmerizing. Fabulous at full speed as well. Beautiful cats that us humans should work hard to keep from disappearing from this Earth.

43. satish
    phatankot
    November 27, 2012, 8:59 pm

It was amezing i luv nat geo from child hood but now after seeing this vid i want to be a part of it any work which is avbl to just tell me its my pleasure to do

44. Rita Rohini Joshua
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    November 27, 2012, 7:30 pm

The magnificence of God’s creation can never be doubted. Amazing shots by an amazing group of individuals who take the pain to bring the greatness of creation to our eyes. Bravo!

45. Lorraine
    Canada
    November 27, 2012, 7:30 pm

What an amazing, beautiful, animal. Nature is perfect!

46. John Schmidt
    Tallahassee, Florida
    November 27, 2012, 7:24 pm

Just a long NG subscriber and admirer of your action photography…………I am still not sure how these cheetahs were under human control. Can they be that tamed?

Thanks

47. Catherine Sweeney
    Brisbane
    November 27, 2012, 7:07 pm

Wonderful. So beautiful. I had goosebumps running all over me and felt tears in my eyes. Why?! I dont know. Just amazing. The sheer majesty of these animals. LOved the crew setting up and the bit in real time right at the end of the video! Wow. Blink and you’d miss it!

48. Henri Seriese
    November 27, 2012, 6:18 pm

Thank you for this beautiful video I like to buy this video

49. Henri Seriese
    Netherlands
    November 27, 2012, 6:16 pm

Amazing and so beautiful where can I buy this video

50. Hafiz Walji
    Toronto, Canada
    November 27, 2012, 5:53 pm

Was born and raised in Tanzania, Eastern Africa; Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater country. Seen a few of there gorgeous cheetas race for prey. This video was exactly fitting to bring out what really takes place in the chase. Once-in-lifetime treat. Thank you folks!

51. Samantha Colbert
    November 27, 2012, 5:44 pm

This is the most moving and beautiful film I have ever seen of a Cheetah! I have been fortunate to see them in the wild, but never on the charge as we see here! Stunning! This is an amazing piece! KUDOS to Nat Geo and The Cincinnati Zoo for sharing this with the world!

52. James Bittner
    Pgh.Pa.
    November 27, 2012, 5:30 pm

I LOVE IT !!!!!! LOVE THOSE BIG CATS !

53. larry gelber
    November 27, 2012, 5:30 pm

Yes to all of the above comments but what really caught my eye was the movement of the rear legs. Amazing and explains the incredible speed.

54. Lisa Smith
    Hollywood Hills, CA
    November 27, 2012, 5:22 pm

Thank you to the Cincinnati Zoo, Nat Geo, and all involved with this amazing project. Truly exceptional and much appreciated. May these creatures remain protected.

55. Sue L'Hommedieu
    November 27, 2012, 5:16 pm

Fabulous film. Thanks for helping me appreciate these amazing animals.

56. Adrian
    Warwickshire
    November 27, 2012, 4:33 pm

My favourie clip of a running cheetah is in the movie Duma when Xan and his Dad record Duma unning alongside their motorcycle and sidecar outfit. You can see the difference in running style as the speed increases. Its a wonderful movie all through, wel worth seeing

57. Michael Langham
    November 27, 2012, 4:30 pm

I too was humbled by the beauty of this piece. Closest thing to flying on four legs.

Thanks you again and again for your moments in time.

58. Bruce Badeau
    Houston, Texas
    November 27, 2012, 4:29 pm

Bravo to the Cheetah’s, their magnificent running, the photographic following technology manned by wonderful seasoned experts, The Cincinnati Zoo and of course National Geographic. Truly an inspiring production worthy of a cinematic award! And yet I feel sad knowing there are men armed with rifles and scopes who think it is sport to shoot a Cheetah… even though severely outlawed … put away those rifles and pick up a camera if you want to shoot something, albeit a bit difficult with the subject moving at 60 mph…

59. Deanna Gomez
    November 27, 2012, 3:22 pm

My son worked as part of the crew during the production of this video. He absolutely loved the experience of working so closely with such magnificent animals.

60. Drew Britten
    Washington
    November 27, 2012, 3:17 pm

Amazing!!! What a wonderful collaboration of talented people and organizations. I am telling all my friends.

61. Trona Garvie
    Saskatoon, SK Canada
    November 27, 2012, 11:18 am

This makes me cry every time I watch it. The beauty and clarity of the shots is stunning and just what I would like to do with my work. Thank you so much for creating this wonderful piece.

62. Victoria Madsen
    Texas, USA
    November 27, 2012, 3:14 am

Thank you so much for this video! I have been entranced by cheetahs for years, and I have seen a lot of film of them running, but this video showed me more than I have seen ever before.

I did not know that they only have one foot on the ground at a time when they are in full run. What a revelation!

Thanks so much!

63. rupesh masurkar
    mumbai
    November 22, 2012, 5:43 am

the amezing shots for snap-shots camera in runing motion,
    perfecty catch the imotions in hunting animals..

64. nadi
    Albania
    November 22, 2012, 3:49 am

exellente and powerful animal video

65. sabri mohamed
    kalpitiya,sri lanka
    November 21, 2012, 10:50 am

everything is good,give me a chance to send more beautiful photos to you.pls inform me how to send it to you.

66. Amir
    Thanks
    November 21, 2012, 8:50 am

Hi national geographic manager.
    i wanna appreciate you for best program.
    I love your farsi ( persian) NAT GEO.
    I am from iran.
    thanks and good luck

67. Stephen Lau
    Taipei
    November 21, 2012, 2:37 am

Just amazing, what a beautiful animal

68. Mark Frolick
    November 20, 2012, 11:08 pm

All I can say is ‘How can I buy this video?’