The Change Reaction Manifesto

Inside my windowless perch at National Geographic HQ.

Welcome to Change Reaction, the newest venture of National Geographic Magazine. I’m Dan Stone, your humble host. All of us here at the magazine and NationalGeographic.com are glad to have you.

Here’s the deal: We’re trying something new. For decades, you’ve told us, your grandparents have sent you our paper edition. You’ve seen the photos, read the stories. But one thing your grandparents probably didn’t teach you was that geography can be social, too. You can follow your favorite photographers on Instagram, and interact with some explorers on Twitter and Facebook as they cross the planet and find amazing new things.

Later this month, I’ll be starting an epic trip–and tweeting it, too. To where, I’m not yet sure. The bosses at National Geographic HQ have given me a simple mandate. “Go find some people and innovative ideas that are crafting the future and changing how we move, eat and power the planet,” they said. “Just try not to get speeding tickets.”

Should I come to your state? If you’ve heard of something big happening in your town — something that will affect all of us in the future — let me know and I just might show up to check it out.

In the mean time, I’ll be bringing you some stories about environmental innovators here on this blog. Is that new hover bike the real deal, or just marketing bunk? Want to know what kinds of fruits we’ll be eating in 20 years? We’ll pick all of those stories apart here. Many of our topics will cover people doing big things, thinking big thoughts. To those who say our environmental future is doomed, I will say—ever so politely—hogwash.

Oh, and one more thing. This really is about you, so please come along. I’m not some corporate robot. I’m a normal guy, hoping you’ll guide my travels. Does someone in your neighborhood design a rocket powered by Kool Aid? Let me know. Do you know where to find the world’s best tacos? Just as important.

Find me on Twitter at @NatGeoDan. Send me your thoughts, questions and pointers. Tweet me those cool photos. And seriously, the tacos.

Dan Stone

Comments

1. Mansi Ghuwalewala
    India
    November 29, 2012, 2:14 pm

Michael Reynolds and his Earthship Biotechture community in Taos… at the risk of posting stale news.

2. Mirtha Yepez
    Newfoundland
    November 17, 2012, 5:55 pm

Yes!! i love that reaction tacos.. sorry manifesto !! around here i dont think so tacos, but a good empanadas o arepas thats sure :) stay in touch…

3. sonia
    Benicasim, Spain
    November 17, 2012, 2:56 pm

Are we talking about food??? then you definitely have to come to Spain!!!!!!!!I just read your blog and sounds very inviting! Right now I can’t think about anything specific I could show you but I live in the heart of healthy Mediterranean diet and lots of people from northern Europe come here to retire because of peaceful life and nice weather (not Caribbean though!!) So if interested you know my address…. Sonia

4. Shelly Runyon
    Boston
    November 17, 2012, 12:14 am

Hi Dan!

I think you would be surprised what you find in Michigan – I’d be happy to introduce you to the woman running the state’s innovation initiatives (not a govt official, but the leader of an NPO who can introduce you to anyone in the entire state).

Also, the best soft tacos in the world are made at Los Cuatros Milpas in San Diego right outside the Gaslamp, but if you want a crunchy one, you’ve gotta go to Juanitas in Encinitas – so delicious!

I bet I’m not the first or last person to recommend Juanitas ;)

Good luck on your journey!

Shelly

5. Michael Blazey
    November 15, 2012, 12:49 pm

and while you didn’t ask about hot dogs, if you get to Washington State, no visit is complete without a hot dog from Diggity Dogs…

6. Les Birken
    Northridge, CA
    November 14, 2012, 8:20 pm

Dan, I have been told the tacos are pretty good at Titos in Culver City, CA. Good luck on your quest.