Your Questions for an NG Archaeologist

Last summer, 52,000 National Geographic Facebook fans voted in a poll about what kind of exploration you’d most like to embark upon. Nearly 48% chose “searching for traces of ancient civilizations.” It’s a little tricky to send that many people out on an expedition, but it’s a little more doable to bring the expedition to you.

Globe-trotting archaeologist and National Geographic Fellow Dr. Fredrik Hiebert has traced the development of human society from Mongolia to the Andes, making discoveries in deserts, mountains, and underwater.

His expeditions through harsh environments to little-known corners of central Asia, surrounded by war and conflict, have helped reveal the long-lost details of the life of rich and poor along the legendary Silk Road.

And when he’s back from adventuring, Fred devotes his time to planning and curating spectacular touring exhibits of artifacts, such as “Afghanistan: Hidden Treasures From the National Museum, Kabul,” and “Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology.”

Now you can join Fred Hiebert in a live conversation on the National Geographic Facebook page Monday, January 23 at 2:30pm ET (7:30pm UTC). Post your questions there or in the comments section of this blog post. Then tune in for the live interview and post more questions as the conversation develops.

Learn More

National Geographic Fellow: Fred Hiebert

“Afghanistan’s Hidden Treasures” From National Geographic Magazine

Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology Exhibit

Comments

1. mariajuliaabolencia@yahoo.com
    the philippines
    February 27, 2012, 2:51 am

i love to know more about archaeology…i love antiques.

2. mariajuliaabolencia@yahoo.com
    the philippines
    February 27, 2012, 2:50 am

i love anthropology/ archaeology and antique things.i love to know more about archaeology.

3. Joe
    January 26, 2012, 2:21 am

While using Google Earth I saw what clearly appears to be A sunken city, who would I contact about what I have found?

4. Zoe Furlong
    New Brunswick, Canada
    January 23, 2012, 2:06 pm

Have you ever found anything futuristic, like a cave painting of somebody going on a laptop.

5. Pamela Williams
    Saint Louis Mo.
    January 23, 2012, 8:02 am

Do you have any maps or infromation on the ancient biblical boundries or land mass that was promised to the biblicac Patriot Abraham and his seed? If so how could I go abot receiving this information?

6. Syeda Amber
    Islamabad,Pakistan
    January 23, 2012, 2:16 am

hi,I like your work very much, Have yoy ever been to Pakistan? As here is
    Mound of the Dead, Sindhi: موئن جو دڙو) is an archeological site situated in what is now the province of Sindh, Pakistan. Built around 2600 BC, it was one of the largest settlements of the ancient Indus Valley Civilization, and one of the world’s earliest major urban settlements, existing at the same time as the civilizations of ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Crete.

7. Syeda Amber
    Islamabad,Pakistan
    January 23, 2012, 2:11 am

hi,I like your work very much, in which countries you have been to?
    have you ever came to Pakistan. Harrapa ,,,monjodahro,.. Ancient civilizations

8. Nikoloz G.
    Tbilisi
    January 22, 2012, 3:53 pm

What kind of trowel do you use in the field?

9. don marinelo
    Plovdiv, Bulgaria
    January 22, 2012, 3:39 pm

How do you feel when you find something, significant? and how do you live, wife, family?

10. Janet Gilroy
    South Africa
    January 22, 2012, 12:29 am

How do you finance your expeditions?

11. Chris Alexander
    Houston, TX USA
    January 21, 2012, 7:09 pm

If a spaceship came down and they told you the earth is about to explode and you can choose only ten ancient artifacts to save for posterity, which would they be?

12. Oleg Meshrin
    Canada
    January 21, 2012, 7:08 pm

Have you had instances in your travels and excavations in which you had resistance from locals or local agencies?
    How did you get around such obstacles to get as close as you can to the truth?

13. Rafique
    January 21, 2012, 7:06 pm

Which is the best ancient civilization, which has done more work then other civilizations to science, literature, philosophy and Mathematics?

14. Canadian Bear
    Canada
    January 21, 2012, 7:04 pm

I have potentially 2 “leads” that may be actual, physical proof of early Norse penetration into the heart of North America…I would love to follow one or both of the leads up, but have no funding, archaeological background, etc that would allow me to pursue them. Who should I speak to regarding these, or how would I go about pursuing them in such a way that I will not ruin their absolute proof of authenticity?

15. Christine B
    January 21, 2012, 8:31 am

Is it even possible to make a midlife career change into archeology or other study of ancient history and artifacts? How did you know this was what you wanted to do with your life, and what would you recommend for someone who wants to make it their life, too?

16. Musonera Jean Maurice
    Mombasa
    January 21, 2012, 3:20 am

Do you believe that pyramid was build ed by human force labor ?? On my view I don’t think so !! Some time it’s really hard to believe what you guys are saying !! If history would be really human record of his past I don’t think till now we could be struggling in searching where we came from !!!

17. Michael Angello W
    Indonesia
    January 20, 2012, 7:03 pm

I’m an archaeology student in one of university in Indonesia. I’m not graduate yet. But i’m still confused about where i should go after graduate. Can you give me some advice or reccommend about how and where i should go for work as an archaeology (instead in archaeology department of Indonesia)?

18. Marcial Baki
    Philippnes
    January 20, 2012, 5:14 pm

Where did we, the modern day civilization, really come from? Because it is quite very clear that a sophisticated and a suprior civilization from yet an unknown origin have deliberately erased our memories of the distant past. The evidences are so staggering that we really have to focus on this.

19. kayce herrick
    ohio
    January 20, 2012, 4:17 pm

If you have any advice for aspiring archaeologist what would it be?

20. Nathan Seely
    Phoenix, AZ
    January 20, 2012, 3:58 pm

Would you recommend getting a degree in Anthropology or Archaeology?

21. ahmed alazazy
    egypt
    January 20, 2012, 3:22 pm

Why do humans feel the unhappiness, even if he has all the reasons he wants human happiness

22. Celeste Moore
    Pennsylvania
    January 20, 2012, 2:27 pm

What was your most fascinating or exciting discovery you made? How often do you actually find something worthwhile?

23. Vasiliy
    Moscow, Russia
    January 20, 2012, 2:04 pm

Where would you go in Russia?
    С английским беда, поэтому еще раз и по-русски – куда бы Вы, как археолог, отправились бы первым делом в России?
    Спасибо.

24. Randy Scott
    Houston Tx
    January 20, 2012, 1:14 pm

For decades I have argued that women invented gardening, farming, agriculture; therefore civilization, to ease the burden of gathering with a baby on her hip. Historians seem to dimiss this & credit great steps to men. What do you think?

25. Randy Scott
    Houston Tx
    January 20, 2012, 1:10 pm

For decades I have been arguing that women invented gardening, farming, agriculture; therefore civilization, to ease the burden of gathering while carrying a baby on her hip. Few historians give it much credit, attribute great events to men. What do you think?

26. Nick age 10
    USA
    January 20, 2012, 12:46 pm

Have you ever found a velociraptor? If so, where did you find it? If not, have you found any dinosaurs? If so, where?

27. Keith Reti
    New Zealand
    January 20, 2012, 12:44 pm

Is it true that the origins of man go back possibly to the dinosaur age because I have seen size 16 footprints myself of man that supposedly dates back to the age of the dinosaur & scientist have denied it purely for the fact that they do not want to re-write history because it leaves a massive gap that they cannot account for…………. What are your thaughts on the matter?

28. IMRAN BABLO
    apkistan wazirabad
    January 20, 2012, 12:30 pm

I always have been loving archaeology mostly because it’s the science that searches for traces of history itself by finding all these ancient remnants of the civilizations that created humanity. Do you believe that it is possible for some long lost ancient miracles like an ancient city or an architectural monument can be rebuilt today in it’s former glory? Have you ever participated in such a project? If so, was the result as expected in the end and how did you feel while working on it?How does it feel to discover something nobody else saw?
    What keeps you going?So do you ever have adventures like Indiana Jones or Jurassic Park?Am I wrong in thinking that there are no fossils of human beings? I’ve seen fossils of so many things in slabs of stone but never of a person.I suppose Pompei is the closest,but it’s not the same thing.

29. Yohanna Ephron
    Ireland
    January 20, 2012, 12:26 pm

How do you become a real archaeologist instead of being stuck in a museum? Where do you go?

30. Dragoljub Veselinov
    Belgrade
    January 20, 2012, 12:24 pm

How,by your opinion,cold be solved a problem between jewish and muslim people in Jerusalim,that considers a place for a temple? Which of this two religions have a historical right for that location to have its own temple?

31. Heather
    January 20, 2012, 12:22 pm

What could an aspiring archeologist study in college? Are there specific archeology degrees?

32. Lidia Chambers
    Cape Town, South Africa
    January 20, 2012, 12:10 pm

I live in Africa which is the “cradle of humanity” and I saw a documentary a while back which traced all human kind to a native group of people known today as the Koisan who orignated and still survive here in the Western Cape. I’d really like to know more about that and whether Dr Fredrik Hiebert agress? Regards Lidia

33. Melissa Flores
    Honduras
    January 20, 2012, 12:05 pm

How did you became an archaeologist? was it hard? what are your goals?

34. Danielle Sager
    Fort Campbell, KY
    January 20, 2012, 12:03 pm

Are there opportunities for youth to get their hands wet and experience archaeology first hand? Such as archaeology trips or digs?

35. SS
    USA
    January 19, 2012, 1:24 am

What is the best way for someone who has a passion for archaeology to participate in and help out a real dig?

36. Dianna
    California
    January 18, 2012, 4:03 pm

How did the Native Americans make their Mortar and Pestles? Each one is unique in shape and material.

I’ve seen film of people making arrowheads, called “flintnapping” but nothing on these treasures.

37. catarina perestrello
    portugal
    January 18, 2012, 2:55 pm

38. Rachel Anne
    New Jersey
    January 18, 2012, 11:47 am

What advice do you have for an aspiring writer who finds archeology and the origins of civilization to be a fascinating subject from which to launch fiction but also wants to keep her stories and details accurate?

39. Joseph Hammond
    Oak Creek, Wisconsin
    January 18, 2012, 11:02 am

Everytime I’m in my basement (which is 8 feet from ceiling to floor), I wonder what YEAR would the floor level, which I’m standing on, represent. This is just a slightly nagging curiosity.

40. Steven Rains
    January 18, 2012, 8:39 am

So do you ever have adventures like Indiana Jones or Jurassic Park?

41. Panayotis
    Greece
    January 18, 2012, 8:06 am

Hello,

Thank you for your time and sorry for any mistakes in my mail.

42. Abhishek Nayak
    India
    January 18, 2012, 6:07 am

I wanted to know if articles excavated in a country are the property of the country or a property of the archaeologists.
    Thanks.

43. Niel Van Herck
    Belgium
    January 18, 2012, 6:07 am

How does it feel to discover something nobody else saw?
    What keeps you going?