“The Village”: A Look at Life in South Sudan

By Jon Waterhouse, National Geographic Fellow

Photo of the author, Jon Waterhouse, courtesy Mary Marshall.

I consider myself very fortunate to be involved with the Alaska Sudan Medical Project. Working with this amazing group of volunteers for the past few years has been an eye-opening and challenging experience.

This group was formed in 2007 when Dr. Jack Hickel from Anchorage saw for himself the extent of the medical need in Old Fangak in what would become South Sudan, and decided that Alaskans could help the people in this community a world away through aid in the construction of  a health center, wells, and a latrine.

Throughout the new year, I’m looking forward to rejoining the crew and the villagers in Old Fangak, which I’ve written about in earlier Healing Journey posts.

The Work Is Just Beginning
South Sudan, the world’s newest country, is also a country with the greatest of needs. Now that independence has been achieved, the real work begins. As a quick review of history shows, building a country is a long process and the hurdles can be staggering. Fortunately, through the kindness of several determined Alaskans, the work is being helped along, slowly but steadily.

The video above will introduce you to a portion of this group of volunteers who have crossed the globe to join people and cultures, working side by side as they build a better future for the people of the new South Sudan. As the filmmaker Todd Hardesty put it, “By joining with their community, they know that the people of Alaska care.”

It seems to me that this is a good time of year to reflect on what we have, and on what we can achieve.

Comments

1. pamela dorsey
    Baton Rouge Louisiana
    July 24, 5:42 pm

What a wonderful group of human.. They are doing what God has put us here to do . Help our fellow man ..

2. julie decastro
    whitestone new york
    November 22, 2013, 4:40 pm

What is the actual amount of villages in South Sudan?

3. Mut Top Nguol
    Nyadin/ Fangak
    June 10, 2013, 3:59 am

In the year 2010 Dr Jill Seam was starting helping the government of south Sudan by constructing the hospital Old fangak which is very fantastic work. And she her commit her self in remote area where there is now network communication. Thanks to her

4. philip Gai
    Mississauga Ontario Canada
    January 8, 2012, 1:13 am

I am amazed by the great work of this great team. I am a son of Fangak. I praise your work Dr.ill. What can I do to help? I was in tears watching this video . My dad is a pastor of a large Presbyterian Church in Fangak now you may have met him . Please let get in touch and plan to do something about this project for the sake of that little girl who passed away due to the luck of treatment opportunity . God brought you to Fanagak to change lives of many . I work for organization called Africa inland mission Canada as a director for ministry to Africans in Canada . May God bless you and keep you .may God give you his wisdom –amen
    Philip Moses Palet Gai

5. Kong gatpale
    Old Fangak
    January 7, 2012, 2:40 am

@Greenman,, you seem like you feel jealousing by Name of that Village is call Fangak, but in my side its sound very meaningful. like something its feel down and its can not be remove again,so Pls let the Alaska Help the community of Old Fangak if they have a power to help, it is my Option,,,lol

6. John Greenman
    Old Town, ME USA
    January 5, 2012, 1:49 pm

What a wonderful tribute to the work of Dr. Jill Seaman, to have people from Alaska devote so much time and money to the effort of bringing better health care to one small South Sudan village.
    One correction …I’ve nev heard the village name pronounced “Fan-gal” like the “ack ack” anti aircraft sound.
    I believe the correct pronunciation for Fangak is closer to “FUN” “GUCK”

7. hillary