Photojournalist Tim Hetherington Killed in Libya

Tim Hetherington in Afghanistan during work on "Restrepo."

Tim Hetherington, acclaimed photojournalist and filmmaker, and co-director of “Restrepo” was killed Wednesday covering the ongoing conflict in Libya, along with fellow photojournalist Chris Hondros.

His final update on Twitter read, “In besieged Libyan city of Misrata. Indiscrimate shelling by Qaddafi forces. No sign of NATO.”

More details are available on ABCNews.com and elsewhere.

Tim Kelly, President of National Geographic Society released the following statement:

“National Geographic is devastated by the tragic news of Tim Hetherington’s death in Libya. This is a sad and terrible day. We join the community of dedicated photojournalists and documentarians around the world who are mourning his loss.”

Listen to an interview with Tim Hetherington about his work on “Restrepo” from NG Weekend:

Comments

1. sebastian
    texas
    April 19, 2013, 4:34 pm

this is unfair

2. Zulfikar Akbar
    Aceh, Indonesia
    May 3, 2011, 1:05 am

What happened to him can be a lesson learned about dedication. My respect to him and whoever shown their dedication

3. Aron Davidson
    Australia
    May 2, 2011, 6:04 am

The world needs to come together not apart its a pitty about the journalist he was doing such a good job they need to pull out all solders and the strong will survive,they will sort out themselfs,crule i know but thats life.

4. Seth
    Karimun Java Island, Indonesia
    April 28, 2011, 10:30 pm

tragic event and a big lost

—-{@

5. mohammad
    chad
    April 27, 2011, 2:23 am

what is said that journalism is a most dangerous work in the world, is really correct. now i believe it. and i believe too we can not and must not accept and expect the un claims about human right. they are all liar, fearous and shit. we, the nation must save ourselves and abandon all of them.

6. yuli
    wonosobo, jawa tengah indonesia
    April 27, 2011, 12:51 am

aku begitu terpukul dengan meninggalnya salah satu jurnalis photographer terbaik mendedikasikan dirinya untuk kepentingan dunia. turut berdukacita. Sorry, i can’t speak english

7. siddharth
    INDIA
    April 26, 2011, 2:34 pm

EVERY BEING DIES ON THIS PLANET/UNIVERSE EVEN THE SUN WILL DIE 1 DAY
    BUT VERY FEW SET EXAMPLES….
    TIM DID.
    AN INSPIRATION FOR ME……. MY HERO.

8. Senglim Suy
    Cambodia
    April 26, 2011, 4:03 am

It is extremely regretful to hear the deaths of Tim; we have lost so great journalist. I strongly contribute my condolences to the family of the man finding the realities to reveal to the world.

9. KOALA
    Ca
    April 25, 2011, 9:54 pm

SHOULD NOT OF HAPPENED! NATO, you need to do more. !! Many good people lost, and shouldn’t be. BOOM the hell out of Q. Bless Tim, his work, and his family, it is a rotten shame. And probably avoidable…… Im sick of all these wars, and I don’t see enough coming out of them, but death, wombed men and women, and I don’t feel the people really appreciate it either. Might of been what he loved to do, but I doubt he thought he would get killed doing it.

10. felicia
    los angles
    April 25, 2011, 12:13 am

This breaks my heart. Tim & Chris were someones sons. As a mother this just kills me. We work hard to raise boys that care about the world and making it a better place. We do all this only for their lives to be cut short for caring. My heart goes out to the families of these brave young men.

11. Myra
    April 24, 2011, 11:56 am

Tragic indeed. His sudden demise was all in the line of duty, doing what he knew and did best.
    Your name and what you have done will not be forgotten, Tim Hetherington.
    Rest in peace.

12. Keith O
    April 23, 2011, 8:09 pm

Tim will never be forgotten. He was an incredible Journalist , Director and Film Maker and all around Great Guy. I beleive the work he did on Restrepo in Afganistan truely brought home.. for many people, the reality of war and what many Soldiers have been through. The film he co-produced helped me work through a lot of feelings and emotional experiences I other wise would have buried and not dealt with. My condolances to both his family and friends. May you rest in pease now Tim. You will be remembered fondly.

13. Mahina
    April 23, 2011, 4:56 am

This in very sad but his death won’t be in vain. He has inspired many people, me included.

14. Mahina
    worldwide
    April 23, 2011, 4:55 am

This very sad but his death won’t be in vai, he has inspired many people, me included.

15. Chad360
    US
    April 23, 2011, 3:30 am

Tragic.
    Restrepo was such a deeply moving film. His legacy will live on, and he left some great work to be remembered by.

I think the killing of journalists covering civil unrests and wars should be prosecuted as a crime against humanity, because that is exactly who they are serving with their storys.

I love karma. It ALWAYS gets the baddie in the end.

R.I.P buddy.