Fish With Human-like Teeth

vampire-fish-02_04700300.JPG

Pacu fish, cousins to the piranha and known as “frugivores,” have human-like teeth that can crack nuts and fruits.

They and many other kinds of species of fish with weird teeth are featured in “Hooked,” a new National Geographic Channel series that premieres on U.S. cable television tonight.

vampire-fish-picture-2.jpg

Also known as the “Vampire Fish,” The Payara earns its “vampire” nickname with a set of two-inch daggers thrusting up from its bottom jaw.

Photos © Julia Dorn/courtesy National Geographic Channel

hooked logo.jpg

New Series Starts Monday 10P et/pt on Nat Geo >>

Comments

1. Toby Bensimon
    Australia
    September 23, 2012, 7:44 pm

This fish has teeth like our Australian rules football team Collingwood ..

2. cmonkey
    Florida
    September 22, 2012, 10:48 pm

They don’t have much for molars, so they must not have to do much chewing and would be great to see what the uppers look like!

3. Mark G.
    BC Canada
    July 10, 2012, 9:01 pm

Does this mean they could be made into natural looking dentures or implanted into humans? I could use a few new teeth.

4. Dave Barret
    April 23, 2012, 11:15 am

I didn’t know that there is so much similarity for fish teeth and human teeth

5. Sonu
    DnoCtPjnCmZauPsHgaP
    March 16, 2012, 11:47 pm

Why don’t you try livebearers (guppies, leptias, swordtails, mollies)?You could easily get some fancy guppies at a LFS.They’re very amusing and fun to watch; plus their bright colors really stand out of the tank.I’m not sure about you, but I really favour small, colorful fish.Or you could several gourami. Either dwarf or just normal sized, they’re really great tankmates. In my past experiences, they’re very beautiful and peaceful. I hope my suggestions have helped. I sell saltwater fish

6. oliver
    philippines, quezon city
    March 10, 2012, 10:57 pm

nice fish!!! do you have another one?

7. adjivon komlavi dodji
    lome togo
    February 29, 2012, 6:23 am

j ai bien apprécié vos vidéos et la maniere dont vous étes entrains de préserver les éspeces et votre politiques de développement durables.en tant que géographe j’aimerai faire partie de vous.

8. Angela
    Sparkle City
    February 12, 2012, 4:23 pm

I know someone who actually has fish in the creek near their home like what is showing in the first picture. Not the kind of fish you want to noodle for.

9. Frog
    brisbane
    January 17, 2012, 5:53 pm

Wow.. He’s got better teeth than my ex!!

Best I pucker up..

10. ssaira.sunder
    pakistan
    January 16, 2012, 8:17 am

hats off to you.these pictures are amazing.wonderfull,god bless you .actually i’m too much interested in marine life,so it touch my heart.god bless you.but i’m i’m want some more details ok what so ever thanks.

11. GS Reese
    South Bimini, Bahamas
    January 2, 2012, 8:20 pm

Hilarious!
    I love all the “live action” shots that were obviously taken after the fish had been initially landed.
    Dead or nearly so, the poor damned thing is tossed back and reeled in repeatedly in order to pad the footage with, laughably inauthentic, scenes of the fish’s “fight”.g

12. Zaranth
    Bristol
    December 29, 2011, 6:21 am

I can accept the fish on second photo, but the teeths of the first one… this is just wrong… and creepy. Nature can be worse best horror movies.